Thursday, July 9, 2009

Customer Service Stinks!

If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times... customer service in corporate America is dead. A recent experience of mine provides evidence that for entrepreneurs, customer service is one place that we will always beat the big company.

Over the past few days, I’ve spent around three hours on the phone and visiting a store to take care of a problem with a Logitech Harmony remote. Now this remote isn’t cheap, and it’s the thing that makes the TV and other assorted entertainment devices work together. I bought it at Best Buy, and they set it up just a couple of months ago. The remote stopped working over the weekend and so I went to Best Buy who referred me to their GeekSquad 800 number who referred me to one Logitech number, which referred me to a second Logitech number which referred me to a third Logitech phone number. And then it got even sillier.

After about an hour and a half on the phone yesterday, Logitech determined that it had to be the battery. In the process of the phone call, they ripped into Best Buy repeatedly for their poor customer service and then promised to send me a new battery. The absolute cherry on the sundae is an email I just got from Logitech this morning: the battery is out of stock and wouldn’t be shipped for 6 weeks!

As an entrepreneur, you can take comfort in the fact that when you are going head to head with the big companies, if you even remotely care about your customers, you are going to beat the heck out of the big guys because, at least from this experience, it’s clear that Logitech doesn’t care about its customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment