Friday, March 20, 2009

Students Starting Businesses

One of the many reasons I love my job working on a college campus is because I get to attend meetings like I did last night. This meeting was not something that was created by a faculty person and it wasn’t created by someone in the administration of the school trying to start a club. Rather, it was a gathering of students from across Syracuse University who are interested in starting a business. The meeting itself was the idea of students and was promoted by students to our students. The four of us who attended who were over age 22 were there as helpers to the process and to pay for the pizza.

The group is calling itself iVenture and the event will be the first of many such gatherings to help students from the business school meet students from the “I” school, help students from engineering meet students in the sciences, etc. On a campus, there is an incredible collection of talent, both from the faculty and administrative side, but more importantly from the student side. All too often however, we get caught up in the “silo syndrome” which makes it hard for students to meet their counterparts who can certainly help them.

As I was talking to one of the students, I saw the incredible power of this process. One of the students was talking to me about an idea he had, but had hit a technical roadblock. He wasn’t sure where to go with it, but standing next to me and listening was another student. The second student had the expertise to solve the first student’s problem and after a quick introduction, the two of them stepped aside to talk. As for me, all I did was smile. Great stuff happening on a campus and I get to be a part of it. Is this a great job or what!

No comments:

Post a Comment