Sunday, January 24, 2010

Can Cellphones Improve a Show?

As we continue to talk and think more about the integration of mobile media and life, you might want to take a look at Terry Teachout’s column from Saturday’s Wall Street Journal, Vexed Messaging. He starts it off with a rant that’s familiar to all of us, but then moves in a different direction:

It happened to me for the first time in Dallas last May. I was wrapped up in a performance of Kurt Weill's "Lost in the Stars." Suddenly my attention was distracted by a mysterious glow. I glanced away from the stage and saw that the woman sitting in front of me was sending a text message on her BlackBerry. Having foolishly neglected to bring a garrote with me, I sat in silence and gnashed my teeth, realizing at last that the no-texting-during-the-performance announcements that are now de rigueur on Broadway are more than merely precautionary. American audiences, long notorious for their willingness to cough, unwrap hard candies, or emit loud laughter at ill-timed moments, have found a new way to be rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment